Deadline: 31 May 2019
Skål International has announced the 2019 Sustainable Tourism Awards.
Skål International is an Affiliate Member of the UNWTO whose mission is to promote the development of responsible, sustainable and universally accessible tourism. They have adopted the UNWTO Global Code of Ethics in Tourism, and also support the ST-EP initiative (Sustainable Tourism-Eliminating Poverty). Skål is affiliated to other important international organisations including PATA, IIPT, The Code, ECPAT, ICTP, STI.
- Community and Government Projects
- Countryside and Biodiversity
- Educational programmes and Media
- Major Tourist Attractions
- Marine and Coastal
- Rural Accommodation
- Tour Operators-Travel Agents
- Tourist Transport
- Urban Accommodation
The 18th Sustainable Tourism Awards ceremony will take place on 15 September during the Opening Ceremony of the 80th Skål World Congress, to be held onboard the Royal Caribbean “Symphony of the Seas” from 14 to 21 September 2019.
- Any company from the public and private sector, NGOs and government agencies from all over the world linked to the tourism industry.
- All sustainable operations and activities must be implemented by the company, NGO or agency applying for the award. Projects that are yet not in operation are not eligible.
- To enhance visibility and get recognition of their outstanding performance in terms of sustainable and responsible tourism.
- To increase their contacts and introduce their products and services to professionals from the tourism industry from all over the world.
- To obtain media coverage among the entire Skål membership worldwide and their international press contacts.
- To personally collect the award during the Opening Ceremony of the 80th Skål World Congress, an excellent opportunity to network with tourism professionals from all over the world.
- To experience the membership of Skål International first hand.
The judging panel will evaluate each project according to leadership criteria in Sustainability that encompass tangible, measurable benefits to the environment, enhance business, and the society and communities in which they operate. The criteria are:
- Nature preservation
- Animal welfare and preservation (if applicable)
- Carbon offsetting and climate change mitigation
- Energy & water saving, renewable energy, waste management
How to Apply
Applicants can apply online via the website.
For more information, please visit the Skål website at www.skal.org/en/sustainableguidelines