The Seanad Public Consultation Committee invites written submissions on Travellers, towards a more equitable Ireland.
On 1 March 2017 the Irish State formally recognised the ethnicity of Irish Travellers and in doing so ushered in a new era of mutual understanding and relations.
In light of this new period of State engagement, the Seanad Public Consultation Committee wishes to reach out to, consult with and listen to Travellers and others; to consider proposals to support Travellers’ full equality post-ethnicity; and to make recommendations on the way forward.
They openly invite members of the Irish Traveller communities, both as individuals and organisations, and any other interested parties, to put forward legislative, policy and other constructive ideas.
The Seanad Public Consultation Committee welcomes your submissions under the two themes:
1. Traveller participation and politics…your ideas to:
- Strengthen the political representation of Travellers locally, nationally and internationally.
- Promote and support increased involvement of Travellers in decision making processes within the public sphere.
- Increase the inclusion of Travellers within civil structures, governmental agencies and Departments.
2. Dialogue and Traveller social inclusion…your ideas to:
- Foster inclusion, dialogue and relationships between Travellers and the wider community.
- Address the stigma, prejudice, discrimination, racism, social exclusion and identity erosion experienced by Travellers.
- Ensure accurate and fair treatment in the media.
The Seanad Public Consultation Committee is particularly interested in hearing from and the views and/or experiences of:
- Traveller NGOs, equality bodies and civil society groups
- Government Departments
- Public bodies
- Public Representatives
- Research bodies and third-level institutions
- Private citizens
In addition, the Committee may invite witnesses to make oral presentations to the Seanad Public Consultation in public hearings.
The closing date for receipt of submissions is 4pm on Friday the 14th of June 2019.
Full details, including guidelines, on how to make a submission and where to send them can be found on the Oireachteas website at the link below.
For more news of interest relating to Travellers see the the Pavee Point website – CLICK HERE.