National Spring Clean is Ireland’s most popular, well recognised and successful anti-litter initiative. Taking place during the whole month of April and now in its 20th year, the campaign encourages every sector of society to actively participate and take responsibility for litter, by actually conducting clean ups in their own local environment. National Spring Clean traditionally takes place throughout the month of April.
- Pick the area you want to clean up (any date in April).
- Register your event with An Taisce online by clicking here and filling out our online registration form, call 01 4002219 to give the details of your event over the phone, or if you received an application form (previous years registers will automatically receive these in the post, or your local council may have some) please send it toNational Spring Clean, Environmental Educational Unit, An Taisce, Unit 5a, Swift’s Alley, Francis Street, Dublin 8.
- Once registered you will receive a kit from An Taisce – kit contents here
- If you are involving other people in your event, plan all necessary advertising and co-ordination through meetings, pick a date for your event, and promote and inform as many different members of your wider community as possible while you wait for your pack to arrive (allow for delays – it is better for it to arrive too early than too late!)
- Contact your local authority (Leitrim County Council 071 96 20005) to let them know the date and location of your clean up. They will assist you with the efficient management of all rubbish and recyclables after the event.
MATERIALS IN THE CLEAN UP KIT
When you register your event you receive a clean up kit containing the following items:
- Protective tabards for adults and children to keep your clothes clean.
- Colour coded plastic bags for recyclable and non-recyclable waste.
- Gloves to keep your hands safe and clean.
All materials supplied are a representative amount and packs sizes vary in accordance with group size. Your Local Authority (council) may be able to provide you with extra materials when you contact them with details of your event. If you are under Dún Laoghaire-Rathdown or Sligo council, your bags will be provided by the council rather than through NSC.
The Following National Spring Clean Materials are available to download:
- A clean-up information pack containing details on how to organise an event, Health and Safety information, litter facts, useful contacts, media and publicity advice, how to recycle, litter and the law, and information on An Taisce is available to download by clicking here
- A poster to advertise your event which is available to download by clicking here or a customizable version here
- Youth Activity cards which are available to download by clicking here
Leave a Reply