County Leitrim’s local communities, farmers, residents and people working in the county are being urged to make their views heard as part of a study into forestry in the county which is currently underway.
Who Is Conducting The Study?
The study is being carried out by University College Dublin (UCD) and aims to asseess the level of afforestation in the county. The survey is being conducted by Dr Aine Ni Dhubhain who will be arranging interviews with key stakeholders in County Leitrim and seeking comments from the public on the social, economic and environmental aspects of Leitrim’s forestry sector.
What Will The Study Take Into Consideration?
The wider aims of this study are:
- to assess the social impacts of forestry in County Leitrim including inter alia the attitudes to forestry of people living there. This assessment will be based on consultations locally with farmers, non farmers and other interested parties;
- to assess the economic impact of forestry for County Leitrim including total employment supported by the sector;
- to assess the impact of forestry on farm incomes relative to other types of farming;
- to consider the non-timber outputs of forestry in County Leitrim;
- to assess the current state of environmental regulation of forestry in County Leitrim
Where Can I Make A Comment?
A dedicated website has been established to receive comments from interested parties by filling out a simple form. The form can be accessed on the University College Dublin’s server HERE
Can I Make A Submission In Writing?
Yes written comments can be sent directly to: Dr Aine Ni Dhubhain, Room 2.39, School of Agriculture and Food Science, Agriculture Building, UCD, Belfield, Dublin 4.
What Is The Closing Date For Submitting Comments?
The closing date for making your views known as part of this study is Friday the 7th of June 2019.
Leave a Reply