Energy Efficiency Grants For The Home
With climate change high on the agenda there are Energy Efficiency Grants are available through the Sustainable Energy Authority Of Ireland and they include grants for the following, as well as a bonus for completing three or four upgrades:
- Insulation (30% of a home’s heat is lost through poorly insulated walls)
- Solar Thermal
- Building Energy Rating (BER)
- Heat Pump System (alternative to fossil fuel heating.. grant values are €3,500 for any pump system going to water and for air to air €600)
- Heating Controls (an upgrade grant is €700)
- Solar water heating grant is €1,200 while you can obtain a rebate grant for a battery storage system of up to €1,000 plus you can get €700 for each Kilowatt (kWp) of solar PV installed – the power output of the panel – up to 2kW equal to about 6 solar panels. These can save c. €200 – €300 per year on your domestic electricity bill.
Do I Qualify?
In order to qualify for these grants, you must:
- Be a homeowner or landlord whose home was built and occupied before 2006, if applying for an Insulation or Heating Controls grant.
- Be a homeowner or landlord whose home was built and occupied before 2011, if applying for a Heat Pump System or Solar Thermal grant.
Insulation grants include:
- €400 for attic insulation
- €400 for cavity wall insulation
- €1,600 for “dry-lining” on an apartment or mid-terrace house
- €2,750 for external wall insulation on apartment or mid-terraced
- €2,200 for “dry-lining” on semi-detached or end of terrace house
- €4,500 for external wall insulation on semi-detached or end of terrace
- €2,400 for “dry-lining” on a detached house
- €6,000 for external wall insulation on a detached house
If you complete three upgrades, your grant value will be increased by €300, and with four upgrades, it will be increased by €400. Grants last for six months so the work must be completed by then.
If your home was built and occupied before 2006, and you are in receipt of social welfare payments, you may be eligible for free energy efficiency improvements.
You can apply online for SEAI Home Energy Grants HERE