About the ‘Charities Governance Code’
The Charities Governance Code explains the minimum standards you should meet to effectively manage and control your charity.
Good governance involves putting in place systems and processes to ensure that your charity achieves its charitable objectives with integrity and is managed in an effective, efficient, accountable and transparent way.
Key dates relating to the Code
- 2019 – will be a year of learning and preparation for charities. The Charities Governance Code Toolkit provides guidance notes and templates to assist charities and charity trustees to meet all of the core standards outlined in the Code.
- 2020 – will be the first year that registered charities are expected to comply with the Code.
- 2021 – will be the first year that registered charities are expected to report on their compliance with the Code.
What Are Charity trustees Responsible For?
Charity trustees are responsible for the governance of their charity and should make sure that the six principles of the Charities Governance Code are being applied. In order to assist and provide practical support to charity trustees in their efforts, the Charities Regulator is committed to developing a suite of guidance documents and templates. To download a document, click on the document title under the headings below:.
Charity Trustee Duties And Roles
Legal duties of charity trustees (Infographic)
Meetings And Minutes
Guidance note on minute taking (PDF document)
Appendix A – Explanatory sample board minutes (PDF document)
Appendix B – Board minutes template (WORD document)
The role of the Chairperson of a charity (PDF document)
The role of the Secretary of a charity (PDF document)
Planning And Risk
Risk Management for Charities (PDF document)
Risk Register template (WORD document)
Recruitment and Induction
Recruitment and induction of prospective charity trustees (PDF document)
Induction pack checklist (PDF document)
Guidance on Code of Conduct for charity trustees (PDF document)
Code of Conduct for charity trustees template (WORD document)
Additional Documents Are Available Below
- Download the full Charities Governance Code
- Download the editable Compliance Record Form (WORD doc)
Where Can I Get Additional information?
If you have any queries regarding the Governance Code please email them to email@example.com and one of the Charities Regulators team will respond.
The Charities regulator will from time to time update old documents and produce new documents and guidance notes. We will endeavour to update this article as and when necessary.
Leave a Reply