An Cosán VCC (Virtual Community College) is changing lives and communities through online education.
The VCC is a nonprofit social enterprise education initiative. It empowers people to learn using the latest virtual, online and mobile technologies. VCC has developed an innovative entry level model of higher education aimed at isolated and disadvantaged communities by offering a blended model of online learning, including live online classes, face-to-face workshops, mentoring, and online resources, all at a pace that suits the learner. Most of the learners who engage with VCC are taking their first steps into higher education, and for some it is their first step back to education at any level. VCC’s holistic, learner-centred model puts the learner at the heart of the project.
Working closely with Community Partners, VCC caters for learners who have not benefitted from mainstream education, offering a wide range of accessible accredited and non-accredited courses. All the courses are designed to respond to community education needs and students are supported to reach their potential. Their vision is to reduce the digital divide and support learners to achieve academic excellence through the use of online educational technologies.
- Young people 18-25 seeking alternative routes to higher education;
- People who struggle with disadvantage, urban and rural isolation;
- early school leavers;
- lone parents; long term unemployed;
- Travellers & Roma Community and those living in direct provision, across Ireland.
- Also, CPD programmes for professionals who work in the community sector and adult education.
Watch this short video ‘A Learners Voice’ to see how the model works and hear directly how programmes have had a positive impact on learners. An Cosán VCC were recently announced as recipients of Social Innovation Education Fund – Short Video.
To date, An Cosan VCC has delivered 36 programmes to over 700 learners in 22 counties across Ireland.
If you would like to find out more click on the links below:
- An Cosán VCC – Our Story – Introduction presentation with short video
- An Cosán VCC Programme Prospectus which outlines the full range of programmes from unaccredited to accredited
- Information Leaflet for programme – Introduction to Social Enterprise Development (10 weeks QQI Level 6 – 10 credits). This 10 week programme is one of 6 modules which will form part of a Certificate in Leadership & Social Enterprise (6 modules |1 -2 years | QQI Level 6 | 60 credits) which will be launched soon.
Alternatively, contact Maria Flanagan, Community Partner Lead
An Cosán Virtual Community College (VCC)
Ground Floor, 4-5 Usher’s Court,Usher’s Quay, Dublin 8
T: 01 534 1847 M: 086 822 3808 E: firstname.lastname@example.org